• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Substances that decrease anhedonia
Let's get a thread going on what substances you've found have helped to decrease your anhedonia. For me, the substances were:

Rhodiola Rosea
The absolute best at decreasing anhedonia. Made me able to enjoy music, games, tv shows, movies, food, and things I didn't even know I liked like drawing. Also made me able to laugh and socialize. Unfortunately, the effect only lasts for about 2 weeks before tolerance greatly reduces the effects.

Wellbutrin XL
Great for decreasing consummatory anhedonia but not particularly helpful for anticipatory anhedonia. Music sounds better, tv shows and movies are somewhat engaging. No effect on gaming sadly. I haven't noticed any tolerance with it, but the effect is rather weak. Also has a lot of side effects.

Maca
Amazing herb that decreases motivational anhedonia. I become very productive on it, but it also somewhat dulls my emotions.

Ginseng
Great for emotional anhedonia. Really makes me feel emotions I haven't felt before. I played BioShock 1 and was completely immersed in the game. Just the environment from the game gave me a feeling of awe and eeriness. I think it's because of the 5-HT2A agonism as Galaxyshock has mentioned before. Bad news for me is that tolerance builds up rather quickly.
(07-31-2015, 10:16 AM)Neuro Wrote: Let's get a thread going on what substances you've found have helped to decrease your anhedonia. For me, the substances were:

Rhodiola Rosea
The absolute best at decreasing anhedonia. Made me able to enjoy music, games, tv shows, movies, food, and things I didn't even know I liked like drawing. Also made me able to laugh and socialize. Unfortunately, the effect only lasts for about 2 weeks before tolerance greatly reduces the effects.

Wellbutrin XL
Great for decreasing consummatory anhedonia but not particularly helpful for anticipatory anhedonia. Music sounds better, tv shows and movies are somewhat engaging. No effect on gaming sadly. I haven't noticed any tolerance with it, but the effect is rather weak. Also has a lot of side effects.

Maca
Amazing herb that decreases motivational anhedonia. I become very productive on it, but it also somewhat dulls my emotions.

Ginseng
Great for emotional anhedonia. Really makes me feel emotions I haven't felt before. I played BioShock 1 and was completely immersed in the game. Just the environment from the game gave me a feeling of awe and eeriness. I think it's because of the 5-HT2A agonism as Galaxyshock has mentioned before. Bad news for me is that tolerance builds up rather quickly.

Hi,

I may have motivational anhedonia, I have really low motivation. Maca really helps? Isn't it an aphrodisiac? What dosage? Here in Brazil it sells in capsules or raw powder, do you know the difference? (how much powder does 1 capsule corresponds?) I'm currently taking Wellbutrin XL but with little to no effects on motivation. I guess I already took all commercial drugs available that could help my motivation, so I guess I have to turn to unproven drugs...

Thank You for your help!
Maca helps because it increases dopamine and noradrenaline levels long-term and as an adaptogen regulates HPA axis. Possible emotional dulling may be due to its effect at endocannabinoid system but I find it minor. Maca can have aphrodisiac qualities, although it's not the strongest one.
(01-07-2017, 09:55 AM)TWRWMOM Wrote:
(07-31-2015, 10:16 AM)Neuro Wrote: Let's get a thread going on what substances you've found have helped to decrease your anhedonia. For me, the substances were:

Rhodiola Rosea

Wellbutrin XL

Maca

Ginseng

Hi,

I may have motivational anhedonia, I have really low motivation. Maca really helps? Isn't it an aphrodisiac? What dosage? Here in Brazil it sells in capsules or raw powder, do you know the difference? (how much powder does 1 capsule corresponds?) I'm currently taking Wellbutrin XL but with little to no effects on motivation. I guess I already took all commercial drugs available that could help my motivation, so I guess I have to turn to unproven drugs...

Thank You for your help!

Yeah, Maca really helps me out. It seems to increase my drive to be productive. After about a week of taking it, I'll feel bad for not doing work and will actually enjoy working. As for an aphrodisiac, yes, it's supposed to increase libido but I myself have never noticed an increase. Then again, my libido is very much dead and very few things increase it.

The brand I took was NOW Foods at 1000 mg. Each capsule contained 500 mg and I would take 2 in the morning after a meal. It's this: iherb.com/Now-Foods-Maca-500-mg-250-Veggie-Caps/9743

I don't think there's a difference between the powder and the capsules, but you need to read the nutritional info to know how much powder is in each capsule. There's also 'gelatinized' maca which has its starch removed. It supposedly makes it more potent.

Have you tried selegiline for motivation? It has a strong effect in the 2nd to 4th week for me but dies off after that. 

(01-09-2017, 07:43 PM)Galaxyshock Wrote: Maca helps because it increases dopamine and noradrenaline levels long-term and as an adaptogen regulates HPA axis. Possible emotional dulling may be due to its effect at endocannabinoid system but I find it minor. Maca can have aphrodisiac qualities, although it's not the strongest one.

That reminds me, Maca seems to increase my appetite a bit. Its effects on hunger are weak, but it greatly improves pleasure from food. Food actually tastes good and flavorful. The first time I took it I had a bowl of cashews on my computer desk that I would finish almost everyday. They tasted so good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post

[Study]
 Neurobiological mechanisms of anhedonia
Neuro 0 1,635 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Neuro